How To Get A Good Value Removals Quote
Planning a move can be overwhelming, especially when budgeting for the cost of hiring a removal company.
Understanding the things that impact the cost of moving house can help you anticipate expenses and avoid unpleasant surprises.
In this blog, we’ll explore the key factors determining how much you can expect to pay for your move, from the size of your house to the services included by the removal company.
By the end, you’ll have a clear idea of what to expect and how to keep your moving expenses under control.
Things to consider when calculating your house removal costs
Calculating the cost of your house removal is an important part of planning a successful move. But it can be tricky to estimate the exact removal company cost you’ll pay, as there are various factors to consider.
Here are five things to consider when figuring out how much your removal will cost.
1. The amount of furniture, boxes, and other items you need to move
Many home removal companies will come to your house for a pre-move survey, looking at the stuff you need to move and giving you a detailed quote.
This way, you’ll know exactly how much you’ll pay in advance and won’t have any nasty surprises.
2. How big a moving team you require
Another factor that plays a role in your removals costs is the number of staff required for your move.
Your home and furniture size will typically determine how big a moving team is needed to ensure a smooth and efficient relocation.
3. The distance from your home to your new location
The distance between your old and new homes will also influence the cost of your house removal. For instance, moving across the country will cost significantly more than moving 10 miles away.
A reliable home removals company calculates the miles they need to travel and the time it takes, which they then factor into the removals quote they provide.
4. The day of the week you want to move
When you choose to move on a weekday instead of a weekend or avoid peak periods such as school holidays and the Christmas season, you can help keep your removal company costs down.
Many removal companies offer better prices on weekdays as their availability is often greater. At the same time, moving during peak periods will likely cost more due to higher demand and increased traffic.
5. Whether you opt for a packing service
Opting for a removal company to handle the packing and unpacking of your belongings can save you a lot of time and reduce the stress of your house move. But it’s important to note that this service may cost additional.
Important questions to ask when getting a removal quote
When getting a removal quote from a professional removal company, asking the right questions is important to ensure you get all the necessary information.
Here are some essential questions to ask a removal company you’re thinking about hiring:
- How long will the removal take?
- Are weekdays (Mon-Thurs) better than weekends (Fri-Sun)?
- Is there a limit on the number of items I can take?
- Do you offer a packing service?
- Can you provide a full written quotation? Are there any additional costs or waiting times?
- Do I need to arrange parking?
- How are your long-distance removal costs calculated?
- Are your staff trained and professional members of The British Association of Removers (BAR)?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- Do you have storage services available?
- Do you have a checklist to keep track of everything?
- What level of removals insurance do you offer? Is there a time limit on claiming?
- Do you provide packing materials, and if so, is this included in the quote?
- Is there a cancellation policy in case my moving date changes?
- Are there any items you cannot move, such as certain types of furniture?
- Can you provide references or customer testimonials?
- How will you handle fragile or valuable items?
Things to be wary of when getting a removal quote:
When getting a removal quote, it’s vital to be cautious of certain things that may signal potential issues.
Keep these points in mind when asking for a quote:
- Low price: Be cautious if you receive an unusually low price compared to the average removal costs. Although it’s tempting to save money on removal costs, the quality of service is often reflected in the price. A suspiciously low quote could indicate a lack of experience, specialist equipment, or professionalism.
- Phone quote only: Most removal companies will offer you a written quote. If they refuse to do so or only provide a quote over the phone, it’s a red flag. A written quote ensures clear expectations and avoids miscommunication.
- No official website: Be wary of companies advertising their services on unregulated platforms like Facebook groups without an official website or physical address. These companies may not be legitimate or may lack proper insurance and licenses.
- Lack of transparency: Ask questions and read the fine print carefully to avoid hidden fees or surprises on a moving day. A trustworthy removal company should be transparent about its rates, services, and terms and conditions.
Overall, it’s essential to understand the factors that impact the cost of removals to avoid unexpected expenses when moving house. This includes the size of your home, the distance to your new location, and the day you choose to move.
Asking the right questions and being conscious of potential removal company red flags can help ensure a safe, efficient, and stress-free move.
Get the right removals quote with Roy Trevor
At Roy Trevor, we understand that moving homes can be a daunting and stressful experience. Our dedicated team of professional movers is here to alleviate that stress by ensuring a smooth relocation process.
We cover every detail of your move from the initial planning stages to post-relocation aftercare. Operating across the North West and Cheshire, our experienced team guarantees that your possessions will be handled with utmost care and attention.
At Roy Trevor, we provide a tailored home removal quote based on your specific circumstances and the scale of your move. Our team is available to answer any questions regarding your move and the handling of your belongings.